Monday, May 23, 2011

How To Sell Toothbrushes

 There was a long weekend coming up and the teacher decided it was a good chance to extend the economics class into a real life situation.
 She set the class the task of selling something during the break, and then giving a talk on their sales technique.
 The following Monday the kids were all back in class and eager to tell how it went.

 First up was little Mary..   "I'm a girl scout and I sold cookies.  I made $52.25.  I set out to appeal to the customer's civil spirit and I credit that approach for my obvious success."

"Well done," said the teacher.

Next came Little Annie.. "I sold magazines from my father's newsagency," she said, "I made $55.00  I explained that the magazines were educational and informative."
"Very good, Annie," said the teacher.

And so it went until it was little Johny's turn.. The teacher held her breath.

Little Johnny strode to the front of the classroom and his lunch box on the teacher's desk. "$1,367.00," he whooped, grinning from ear to ear.

"$1,367.00," cried the teacher, "How??  Who??  What on Earth were you selling?"

"Toothbrushes," said Little Johnny earnestly.

"Toothbrushes," echoed the teacher, "How could you possibly sell enough tooth brushes to make that much money?"

"Easy...  I found the busiest corner in town," said Little Johnny,
"I set up a Dip and Chip stand and I gave everybody a free sample. They all said the same thing, "Hey, this tastes like s#@%!"
Then I would say, "It is s#@%. Wanna buy a toothbrush?"

No comments:

Post a Comment